Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 5 (Need More Milk)

Again, the kefir fermented the 4th Batch of milk rather quickly in only 24 hours.  I had to stir the milk very well to make it liquid enough to strain.  I am no longer able to use the fine mesh strainer.  I will save that for water kefir grains.

As I need to go buy a larger diameter strainer for the milk kefir, I had to find something else.  Luckily we have several pasta strainers at the house.  They have a much larger hole opening but it seemed to work just fine.


It strained rather quickly as well.  Here is what remained after straining.  The clump seems to be doing well so far.  It doesn't smell sweet and aromatic like the batch that sat an extra 24 hours post kefir grain fermentation.

Some people will directly consume the liquid from the grains at 24 hours.  This isn't for me.  I prefer the kefir to have a sweet smell and a higher nutrition content.  Leaving the fermented milk to sit for at least another 24 hours at room temperature should do the trick.
As the milk had become very clumpy again in such a short period of time, I decided to up it again.  This time I refilled the jar with 16 oz of milk.

You can see just above the kefir level on the jar with the green cover that just from walking downstairs with it, it had stuck to the sides.  It was thick and had begun to separate a bit on top with whey liquid settling.

For reference (Blue cloth) contains the milk kefir grains with a fresh batch of milk.  (Green cloth) contains the milk kefir w/o grains for their second day of fermenting.