Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 7

The addition of more milk resulted in a slightly less acidic fermented kefir today.  Different from yesterday are a few factors.  First of all, I used 16 oz of milk vs. 12 oz of milk.  Also, I was able to use the fine mesh strainer for this batch as well.  This prevented any clumps containing curd / kefir grains from entering into the batch, unlike yesterdays.

This means that this batch fermented slightly slower than the previous one.  I also kept the temperature of the room between 60-63 degrees F.  Although liquid whey did form on the bottom in large quantities, there was a less uniform separation throughout. 

The curd on top was also very creamy in today's batch vs. yesterdays, which was rather dry in texture.  As I scooped a spoon through the curd, whey immediately filled the gaps where the curd had been.  By this point, the kefir has been able to greatly ferment the 16 oz of milk. 

After straining off the newest batch of milk, I was still unsatisfied with the smell.  HOWEVER, as the batches were fermenting prior to curd / whey separation, the aroma did have the illusion of yogurt again.  It wasn't until I removed the covering at the second 24-hour mark, that I noticed it still wasn't the aroma I am waiting for. 

The curd / kefir grains that remained in the strainer after removing the milk, were breifly rinsed with fresh milk.  I did this by leaving them in the strainer and poured a cup of fresh milk over them.  Then I returned them to a clean jar and added only 8 oz of milk.  I wont be trying to wait exactly 24 hours any more, as I will be consuming the kefir from here on out according to taste and texture.  I will try various stages of fermentation and keep you posted.  My immediate goals are to make the grains odorless to semi-sweet.  I will be using less milk to better control the process without wasting anything in the mean time.

After straining the last batch, I added about 4-5 dashes of ground cinnamon and gently swirled the jar.  I will wait 12 - 24 hours for this batch, while periodically checking on it as it ferments.  Once the process is down, and I am getting the aroma and texture I desire, I will purchase some bottles and different small neck jars with corked airlocks.