Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Celiac Disease And Kefir - Part 1

Celiac Disease (Nontropical sprue; Gluten intolerance; Gluten-sensitive enteropathy)Celiac disease is a condition that damages the lining of the small intestine and prevents it from absorbing parts of food that are important for staying healthy. The damage is due to a reaction to eating gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, rye, and possibly oats.   
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001280/

Not With Kefir :)
Ok, I'm not going to bore you with a long drawn out detailed description of the debilitating side effects associated with this wonderful disease...If you have it or anything close to it...I'm sure you know.

Here's what I am going to offer you though...A way out.

If you have taken any time to read through any of my extremely boring litany of bacterium definitions or any of the numerous descriptions on how kefir can help various ailments, you may be getting the point that there is actually something to this wonderfully rubbery substance.

Here's the deal... 

If you consume kefir and I'm talking about REAL KEFIR, not the fake sugar filled shit they try and sell you at the grocery store, you can fix more digestive issues than you could ever imagine.

Don't believe me?...

Here's what used to happen to me before I found kefir.   
 Before I found kefir, I suffered severe chronic inflammation that for several years I attributed to a bad car accident.  In reality, the accident simply made the inflammation so bad that I couldn't ignore it anymore.  I lived on Ibuprofen and suffered through migraines for years.  

About 2 years ago, I dropped 25 lbs and wasn't able to eat even a bite of pizza without developing blurry vision, confusion, dizziness, massive headaches and extreme fatigue.  I would have to go lay down as I couldn't keep my eyes open.  The symptoms would come on quickly and always the same.  Within 20 minutes of eating something containing gluten or some form of high fructose corn syrup, I was done for.

I went on a gluten free diet for about 8 months, eating mostly ketogenic.  In other words, I lived on a healthy version of the Atkins, you know...real meat.  (Not the crap they sell at the grocery store), but real home grown or hunted meats and organs meats.  I also consumed copious amount of fat for the majority of my calories.  I lived on coconut oil, butter, cheese, olive oil and fish oil.  

The pain was gone...

For the first time I realized that I may be just like the rest of my brothers and sisters...Gluten intolerant.   But on this diet, I found it almost impossible to eat anything I didn't make myself or keep any real weight on.  I would have dinner at someones house and think their homemade salad and dressing must be fine to consume...Only 20 minutes later to find out that there was corn syrup and sugar in the dressing...

Finally I discovered kefir...

And Yes, That obnoxiously large blue font was to stress the importance of that short blurb...And here's why...I recently forgot I have a gluten allergy at all.  In fact, I so forgot that I had any type of food allergy that during a 2 week Holiday vacation, I ate like an animal.  I ate anything and everything containing gluten, high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils.  And guess what ha...For a full 10 days of gluttony...I was in heaven.  And I felt great to boot!

It wasn't until the 11th day without consuming any kefir and living off foods I should never have touched in the first place, that the once forgotten reactions came back.  So for the last several days, I have had to again limit everything I ate to gluten free and read labels to make sure that wasn't any fake corn syrup.  Somehow I seemed to still consume it and I have suffered through the pains waiting to get back home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Thanks a lot for this blog!

I have problems with gluten for just one month and discovered the source very quickly.
My precious girlfriend found and gave me water-Kefir grains that I enjoy a lot!
So I drink some Kefir everyday and today, just before to find this blog, I tried some little thing including gluten and really can feel it ): I'm not protected against gluten!
Maybe should I drink more? or maybe drink it while I try something with gluten?
But the effects, even lightly celiac as I think I am, do not give many temptation for experiments!

Thanks a lot and good luck!

JP

Jonathan Bailey said...

Thank you for sharing this article, it has been a big help. I hope your continuing to do well. I wasn't understanding why I had so much inflammation; I too endured an accident that I was relating it all too.. then narrowing it down as it got worse. Same song... I hope that by eating right and drinking kefir, I will lose all this stiff, painful, and bloating feelings... and maybe lose the weight. Thank you again so much.

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

This means that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

Unknown said...

Your Affiliate Profit Machine is waiting -

And making money online using it is as easy as 1...2...3!

This is how it works...

STEP 1. Choose which affiliate products you intend to promote
STEP 2. Add PUSH BUTTON traffic (it takes JUST 2 minutes)
STEP 3. See how the affiliate system grow your list and upsell your affiliate products all by itself!

Are you ready to make money automatically?

The solution is right here